In traditional African societies, culture has a negative influence on how women are treated. Discrimination against women tend to seek justification in cultural moves, beliefs and practices This picture was inspired by the story of Queen Amina of Zazzau. Queen Amina is hailed as a brilliant military strategist and warrior who performed incredible feats leading her troops into battle, conquering new territory and fortifying the kingdom of Zaria. Her exploits earned her the moniker "Amina, daughter of Nikatau, a woman as capable as a man".Today, her memory represents the strength of womanhood and she inspires African women to RISE above the inequality and discrimination around them.
Two people, youths, standing in front of a wall with newspapers pasted, with bold handwriting of 'we have our story' written across them.
It is a symbolic image for people who are going through one issue or the other, and people neglect or never get to know them or their stories. How much does the media really tell us?
This image was shot using one speed light in a softbox to the side so the soft diffused light hits her face and gradually falls of into total shadow/darkness there by making it a lowkey image.
The black and white conversion was an added artistic feel to make the image more appealing.
Finally the models look says it all...
The gathered of the young females and males deliberating on who own the baby toy picked, with each trying to point out his/her reason of ownship while some don't just have a say but hope to just walk away with the toy...
The skin of the leopard is beautiful, but not his heart. However, ugliness with a good character is better than beauty
A beautiful thing is never perfect and anyone who sees beauty and does not look at it will soon be poor - African Proverbs
My recent work aims to portray the importance, strength & power of women / women of power i.e Heroines, most importantly. As most (if not few) of us know, Queen Amina of Zaria was a Hausa ruler in the mid 15th - 16th century from the ancient City Of Kano State, Nigeria. I remember reading about her legend in one of those story & educative books when I was much younger. Reimagining & resuscitating one of her famous images, I added a twist to it by introducing a fusion of post modern- futurism ( ancient Mystic fictions that are still relevant till date, Space & robotics) and fashion. Therefore, using Queen Amina's exploits and achievements as a reference to the capability of all women everywhere, I highlight the importance & strength/ power of women in our modern day society and how crucial it is to respect their usefulness.
A group of local caterers preparing Amala( a meal made from yam flour) eaten typically amongst the Yorubas ( a dominant tribe in South-West, Nigeria) during Sango Festival in Oyo Town, Oyo State, Nigeria.
- Рейтинг фотографов по странам и городам строится на основе 2 лучших фотографий автора и их относительной позиции в каждой отдельной номинации. Рейтинг в номинации "Мобильная фотография" учитывается в меньшей степени для формирования рейтинга. В списке показывается одна фотография автора с лучшим рейтингом.
- В рейтинге по номинациям учитывается одна лучшая работа автора набравшая максимальный бал.
- В списке опубликованы только работы которые прошли 2-й этап голосования.
- The rating of photographers by countries and cities is based on the two best photos of the author and their relative position in each separate nomination. Rating in the nomination "Mobile Photography" is taken into account to a lesser extent for rating formation. The list shows one photo of the author with the best rating.
- The rating for the nominations takes into account one of the best photographs of the author who scored the maximum score.
- Only those photos have been published in the list that passed the second stage of voting.
More recently, we have made an improvement and now we have a new feature - "Series uploading." Even now, you can download from 3 to 10 photos in the series, united by a common idea. Voting for the series will take place separately from other series in their nominations. vote principle remains the same as for single photos. At the moment, series uploading is available for nominations: "Children's Photography", "Wild Animals", "Staged Photography" and "Reportage photo". This feature is available for any improved account.